Thursday, January 5, 2012

Chapter 5

"And after we filled up two carts at the grocery, we came home and me and Grandpa carried it all inside.  Taylor helped Mommy put everything away.  Then me and Tay did our homework while Mommy cooked the supper.  And then..." Jake stopped to take a breath and swallow his last bite of mashed potatoes.

"You mean 'Grandpa and I,' " Jeff said.  Taylor started to giggle.

"No, Daddy," Jake said.  "You weren't even home.  We carried it in."

"Give it up, Daddy," my daughter said.  "He just doesn't get it."

Alas, grammar is not my son's strong suit - but story telling is.  I think it's genetic. I decided to get a word in while Jake was chewing.  "Who's ready for dessert?"  I asked, looking around the table at empty plates.

"Me!" Jake shouted.  "Me oh my, I love pie!"  He burst into a fit of giggles.

"Honey, that's the best meatloaf I've had in a month of Sundays," Jeff said.  "But for pie, I'll even help clear the table and load the dishwasher."  Bless his heart, Jeff will eat anything I cook and never complains.  I guess living on military rations for six months at a time will make your wife's cooking seem like manna from heaven.

I'd gotten more than just information at Billie Jo's place; we came home with two of her specialties: chocolate French silk pie and sour cream apple pecan tart.  Taylor made sure I didn't forget to buy ice cream while we were at the store.

"I want some of each," Pop said as he began to stack the empty plates.  "I never did eat lunch today.  But I did win at dominoes."

"Where'd you play dominoes?" Taylor asked.  Our girl loves a game of any kind.

"BJ's place," Pop answered, taking another bite of apple tart.

"Daddy, why do they call Billie Jo BJ?" Jake asked, looking at his father expectantly.

I think Jeff inhaled half a glass of sweet tea.  He started to cough and I handed him another napkin.  Pop and I looked at each other, trying not to laugh.

"Because those are her initials, dopey," said Taylor matter-of-factly.

Of course, that's why.  I took another bite of chocolate pie.

His curiosity satisfied, Jake continued to regale us with his first-day-of-school adventures and during his momentary silences, Taylor managed to fill us on on sixth grade, her teachers and a potential new best friend.  When the pie plates were empty, Pop challenged both kids to a game of checkers and suddenly the kitchen was silent.  Jeff and I sat across the table looking at one another.

"You know, you always thought that's why everyone called your friend BJ.  I think I finally explained the real reason why after we were married," Jeff reminded me.  "It might even have been after Taylor was born."

"It was not and you know it.  I do recall that you explained her nickname to me - but I am fairly sure we were still in high school."

"And I'm fairly sure that you were completely horrified.  I don't think you spoke to her for a week."

"Well, that's a pretty, um, shocking thing to find out about your best friend.  You know I love Billie Jo, but I sure hope Taylor's new friend isn't anything like her."  I searched the apple tart pan for edible crumbs.

Jeff leaned back in his chair and looked at me intently.

"Well?" he asked.  "Anything you want to share from your undercover fact-finding mission?"

I ignored the question and carried a stack of plates to the sink.  Jeff followed me with the empty pie plates and a hand full of silverware.  As I rinsed the dishes, I handed them to him and he loaded the dishwasher.  We worked quietly for a few minutes. 

I sighed, remembering all the things BJ had told me.  "I just heard all the gossip.  Way more than Aunt Rob ever shares.  Some of it was funny, some of it was pretty enlightening and a few things were downright crazy. A couple of the things she told me were pretty, you know, awful. Shocking, really."  I wasn't going to admit it, but I was really appalled at some of the things people actually do to one another or with someone else behind their spouse's back.  I wondered if they even realized how hurtful their actions were to other people.  "I'll tell you later," I said quietly and put the last glass on the top rack.

Jeff put his arms around me from behind and rested his chin on the top of my head.  "You know, babe, in the big scheme of things, nothing really matters but our own little family.  Let's go enjoy them for a while."

And is there anything sweeter than a big, strong, gentle man who is willing to play Guitar Hero with his two adoring kids?  Oh, and not many people know this, but he knows all the words to I Love Rock and Roll.

2 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your adventures in Piney Point, Dawn! Great story telling! Great characters!

    ReplyDelete